While gluten-free products are busy lining up the shelves, many people are still in the dark on their health benefits.
Let’s start with the basic. Gluten is protein found in wheat that gives elasticity to dough, helping it rise and maintain its shape. For some people, their immune system responds to gluten by damaging the small intestine, a condition called celiac disease. For others, consuming gluten can cause stomach ache, bloating, fatigue, joint pain, and diarrhea. This condition is called gluten intolerance or sensitivity.
In these cases, a gluten-free diet is recommended, if not a must. For those without celiac disease or gluten sensitivity, it can also be a good way to construct a healthy diet for weight loss.
Going Gluten? No Worries!
One of the hardest things about switching to a gluten-free diet is saying good-bye to all the delicious food in the world. At Metropolitan Gourmet, we make this transition a lot easier for you. With an exciting selection of gluten-free products, you don’t have to say good-bye to yummy while saying hello to healthy – you can have the best of both!
Today, we’d like to share a gluten-free recipe that you and your family will love: Veggie Burgers – with a crunchy twist! Using our gluten-free breadcrumbs, you can make veggie burgers healthier and yummier than ever.
What You Need:
- 2 cups of cooked black beans
- 1 cup of Metropolitan Gourmet Gluten-free bread crumbs (for that crunchy twist!)
- 1¼ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground paprika
- ½ cup red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup green peppers, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 egg
How to Prepare It:
- Mash 1½ cups of the black beans then add remaining ½ cup of beans. In a small bowl, mix together the garlic powder, cumin, salt, paprika, and cilantro.
- Pour the mixed spices over the beans (mashed and un-mashed).
- Add our Gluten-free breadcrumbs into the mix, and mix everything together with your hands.
- Mold the mixture into 4-5 patties.
- Grill the patties on a greased sheet of aluminum oil as you would a normal burger. The foil to prevent pieces to fall in between the grates of the grill until it’s cooked nicely. You may also cook the patties in a pan.
- Once they turn brown and start to crisp on the bottom side, flip and do the same on the other side.
- Once done, you can serve these crunchy patties on a gluten-free bun or over rice.
Metropolitan Gourmet also offers gluten-free pizza crust and croutons to make your pizza and salad extra special. Order yours today!